The truth has a habit of appearing from nowhere. One may deceive people about a certain issue on a small scale for a limited time but no truth remains hidden till the end. (1) Man innately and easily says the truth as is. The true word fluently comes forth from his mouth like a fluid. Therefore there are lie detectors but no truth detectors for any reason whatsoever.
In short, to lie is to say "absent" for something "present" or "present" for something "absent". It is obvious that something absent can't reveal something present. If such is the case, there are consequences for that.
There are different reasons to tell the lie. A lie that would last for centuries could not be told for same reasons. On a subject which concerns all humanity, especially on a demand which is unconditionally desired by everybody (2), it is impossible for truth-verified hundred thousands of prophets, millions of saints and hundred millions of righteous persons to tell the same lie and to dream (3) the same thing for centuries till the end.
The common claim for thousands years of all those luminous persons is: The afterlife. There is an infinite life and an exalted realm beyond. Allah (cc) is the one and the only God.
No matter how charming it is, a word is a lie if it closes the doors of the beyond on you. While every expansion of the truth unfold the sails towards the existence and the infinity, the the deception and the lie always result in the nonexistence and the finitude. (4)
Time proved that they were right. When the time came, every denier passed away and saw the truth as is. (5) Now the today's unbelievers are next.
(1) Also, you know that an insignificant man of small standing among a small community in a disputed matter of small importance cannot tell a small but shameful lie brazenfaced and without fear without displaying anxiety or disquiet enough to inform the enemies at his side of his deception. Now look at that Being; although he undertook a tremendous task which required an official of great authority and great standing and a situation of great security, can any contradiction at all be found in the words he uttered among a community of great size in the face of great hostility concerning a great cause and matters of great significance, with great ease and freedom, without fear, hesitation, diffidence, or anxiety, with pure sincerity, great seriousness, and in an intense, elevated manner that angered his enemies? Is it at all possible that any trickery should have been involved? God forbid! It is naught but Revelation inspired. The truth does not deceive, and one who perceives the truth is not deceived. His way which is truth is free of deception. How could a fancy appear to one who sees the truth to be the truth, and deceive him? Risale-i Nur 19. Word 9. Droplet
(2) The Eternity Attack / Aykut Tanrıkulu
(3) For by virtue of his very nature, man is inclined to call a lie a lie. / Risale-i Nur 19. Letter 8. Sign
(4) The entry to the story of Adam - 3 / Aykut Tanrıkulu
(5) ".. so your sight today is sharp. " Quran: Qaf 22